- Senior Investigator, Clinical Neurocardiology Section
Dr. Goldstein graduated from Yale College and received an M.D.-Ph.D. in Behavioral Sciences from Johns Hopkins. After medical internship and residency at the University of Washington, he came to the NIH as a Clinical Associate in the NHLBI, obtaining tenure as a Senior Investigator in 1984. He joined the NINDS in 1990 to head the Clinical Neurochemistry Section and founded and directs the Clinical Neurocardiology Section, an independent Section. He has received Yale's Angier Prize for Research in Psychology, the Laufberger Medal of the Czech Academy of Sciences, 2 NIH Merit Awards, the Founders Award of the Bakken Heart-Brain Institute, and the NIH Distinguished Clinical Teacher Award. He is author of more than 450 research articles and several books, including "Adrenaline and the Inner World: An Introduction to Scientific Integrative Medicine," the "NDRF Handbook for Patients with Dysautonomias," "Stress, Catecholamines, and Cardiovascular Disease," and "The Autonomic Nervous System in Health and Disease".
- (2020). Natural Selection Shapes Codon Usage in the Human Genome. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF HUMAN GENETICS. 107(1), 83-95.
- (2020). Lymphatic mapping with SPECT-CT for evaluation of contralateral drainage in lateralized oropharyngeal cancers using an awake injection technique. HEAD AND NECK-JOURNAL FOR THE SCIENCES AND SPECIALTIES OF THE HEAD AND NECK. 42(3), 385-393.
- (2019). The image-guided operating room-Utility and impact on surgeon's performance in the head and neck surgery. HEAD AND NECK-JOURNAL FOR THE SCIENCES AND SPECIALTIES OF THE HEAD AND NECK. 41(9), 3372-3382.
- (2014). Characterization of Fatigue States in Medicine and Psychiatry by Structured Interview. PSYCHOSOMATIC MEDICINE. 76(5), 379-388.
- (2020). Clinical sites of the Undiagnosed Diseases Network: unique contributions to genomic medicine and science. GENETICS IN MEDICINE.
- (2020). Short-term and long-term unstimulated saliva flow following unilateral vs bilateral radiotherapy for oropharyngeal carcinoma. HEAD AND NECK-JOURNAL FOR THE SCIENCES AND SPECIALTIES OF THE HEAD AND NECK.
- (2020). Pre- and Post-Radiotherapy Radiologic Nodal Features and Oropharyngeal Cancer Outcomes. LARYNGOSCOPE.
- (2020). Causal Genetic Variants in Stillbirth. NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. 383(12), 1107-1116.