- Senior Investigator, Section on Medical Neuroendocrinology
Dr. Karel Pacak graduated summa cum laude from Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic in 1984. In 1990 he began his postdoctoral fellowship at NINDS. Then in 1995 Dr. Pacak began his residency in internal medicine at the Washington Hospital Center under Dr. L. Wartofsky, followed by a fellowship in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism at NIH. He was Board certified in 1998 and 1999 in those disciplines. In 1998 he established a new Program for Neuroendocrine Tumors focusing on pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma at NICHD. He received his Ph.D. in1993 and his D.Sc. in 1998 in the field of neuroendocrinology from Charles University. In 2006 he was awarded a lifetime professorship in Internal Medicine at Charles University. Dr. Pacak is an internationally recognized expert in the diagnosis and treatment of neuroendocrine tumors, especially pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma. Dr. Pacak also established the International Symposia on Pheochromocytoma. He also helped co-found a new Asian Alliance for the Study of Neuroendocrine Tumors in 2010. He is a recipient of numerous awards including the Peter Heimann Memorial Award at Yale University, International Association of Endocrine Surgeons; NIH Director's Mentor Award, Award for Cure from Pheo & Para Alliance, NICHD Director's Award of Merit, Pincus Taft Memorial Lecture the Highest Award from Endocrine Society of Australia, and Jessenius Gold Medal from Slovak Academy of Sciences. Dr. Pacak is the author of more than 305 scientific peer-reviewed articles, 98 book chapters, and 5 books.
- (2017). Leptomeningeal dissemination of a low-grade lumbar paraganglioma: case report. JOURNAL OF NEUROSURGERY-SPINE. 26(4), 501-506.
- (2015). Lack of utility of SDHB mutation testing in adrenergic metastatic phaeochromocytoma. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF ENDOCRINOLOGY. 172(2),
- (2020). A xenograft and cell line model of SDH-deficient pheochromocytoma derived from Sdhb+/- rats (vol 27, pg 337, 2020). ENDOCRINE-RELATED CANCER. 27(10), X9-X10.
- (2020). Phaeochromocytoma - advances through science, collaboration and spreading the word. Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 16(11), 621-622.
- (2020). Epidural anesthesia and hypotension in pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma. ENDOCRINE-RELATED CANCER. 27(9), 519-527.
- (2020). Targeting pheochromocytoma/paraganglioma with polyamine inhibitors. METABOLISM-CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL. 110,