- Senior Clinician, Pulmonary Clinical Medicine Section
Kenneth Olivier received his B.S. in microbiology from Louisiana State University in 1983 and his M.D. from Tulane University School of Medicine in 1987. He completed his internship and residency in internal medicine at the United States Air Force Keesler Medical Center in Biloxi, MS, and a fellowship in pulmonary and critical care medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In 1992, he was awarded a clinical research fellowship at the UNC General Clinical Research Center. He completed a Master of Public Health degree in infectious diseases epidemiology from the UNC School of Public Health in 1994.
He served as a pulmonary critical care specialist at the USAF Wilford Hall Medical Center in San Antonio and directed the pulmonary critical care fellowship training program for the San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium. He is a veteran of both the Afghanistan and Iraq wars and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal, Aerial Achievement Medal, and a Bronze Star prior to his retirement as a colonel from the Air Force Reserves in 2010.
Dr. Olivier joined the Laboratory of Clinical Infectious Diseases at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) as a staff clinician in 2005. While at this lab, he received three NIAID Merit Awards, one in 2012 and two others in 2014. He joined the NHLBI Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Branch in 2014. He has authored or coauthored more than 90 peer-reviewed research publications, invited review articles, and book chapters, served on the editorial board of the Journal of Immunology, and is a member of the American Thoracic Society and a fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians.
- (2020). Airway Clearance Techniques in Bronchiectasis Analysis From the United States Bronchiectasis and Non-TB Mycobacteria Research Registry. CHEST. 158(4), 1376-1384.
- (2020). Mycobacterial Testing Trends, United States, 2009-2015. EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASES. 26(9), 2243-2246.
- (2020). Treatment of Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Pulmonary Disease: An Official ATS/ERS/ESCMID/IDSA Clinical Practice Guideline. CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES. 71(4), 905-913.
- (2020). Treatment of Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Pulmonary Disease: An Official ATS/ERS/ESCMID/IDSA Clinical Practice Guideline: Executive Summary. CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES. 71(4), E1-E36.
- (2020). SARS-CoV-2 Reverse Genetics Reveals a Variable Infection Gradient in the Respiratory Tract. CELL. 182(2), 429-+.