- Senior Investigator, Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics
Dr. Gawrisch was born in Freyburg, Germany in 1950. He received training in biophysics in the laboratory of Lev A. Blumenfeld and a Master's Degree in Physics from Moscow State University, Russia, in 1975. In Leipzig, at the laboratories of Gotthard Klose and Klaus Arnold he was trained in membrane biophysics and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) and received a Ph.D. in Physics in 1979 and the Habilitation in Physics in 1986 both from the University of Leipzig, Germany. Until 1989 he served as Docent in Physics and Biophysics at the University of Leipzig. In 1989 he joined the laboratory of Adrian Parsegian at the Division of Computer Research and Technology and later the NMR laboratory of James Ferretti at the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. From 1993-1998 he was a Tenure Track Investigator heading the Section of NMR of the Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism of NIH. He is currently the Chief of the Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics and the Chief of the Section of NMR in the laboratory. For his achievements in lipid biophysics he received the 2007 Avanti Award in Lipids of the Biophysical Society.
- (2018). Stimulation of alpha-synuclein amyloid formation by phosphatidylglycerol micellar tubules. BIOCHIMICA ET BIOPHYSICA ACTA-BIOMEMBRANES. 1860(9), 1840-1847.
- (2017). Expression and NMR Structural Studies of Isotopically Labeled Cannabinoid Receptor Type II. Methods in Enzymology. 593, 387-403.
- (2015). Pore Hydration States of KcsA Potassium Channels in Membranes. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 290(44), 26765-U472.
- (2015). Rhodopsin/Lipid Hydrophobic Matching-Rhodopsin Oligomerization and Function. BIOPHYSICAL JOURNAL. 108(5), 1125-1132.
- (2014). Global fold of human cannabinoid type 2 receptor probed by solid-state C-13-, N-15-MAS NMR and molecular dynamics simulations. PROTEINS-STRUCTURE FUNCTION AND BIOINFORMATICS. 82(3), 452-465.
- (2014). Structural interactions of a voltage sensor toxin with lipid membranes. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. 111(50), E5463-E5470.
- (2014). The Molecular Structure of the Liquid-Ordered Phase of Lipid Bilayers. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 136(2), 725-732.
- (2014). The role of membrane curvature elastic stress for function of rhodopsin-like G protein-coupled receptors. BIOCHIMIE. 107, 28-32.
- (2013). A generalized strategy for immobilizing uniformly oriented membrane proteins at solid interfaces. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS. 49(26), 2685-2687.
- (2013). Application of Halo Tag technology to expression and purification of cannabinoid receptor CB2. PROTEIN EXPRESSION AND PURIFICATION. 89(1), 62-72.