- Senior Investigator, Neuro-Oncology Branch
Dr. Gilbert received his medical doctorate (M.D.) degree in medicine from Johns Hopkins University (JHU) in 1982 (Alpha Omega Alpha). At JHU, he completed residencies in internal medicine (1982-1985) and neurology (1984-1988) and fellowship training (Keck Foundation Fellowship) in both neurology and neuro-oncology. In 2000, after serving on the faculties of the University of Pittsburgh and Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, Dr. Gilbert joined the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center as Deputy Chair of the Department of Neuro-oncology. In 2005, he was appointed as Director of the Brain Tumor Trials Collaborative, a multi-center clinical trials consortium. In 2009, Dr. Gilbert received the Blanche Bender Endowed Professorship in Cancer Research. Recently, he was named the Co-Chair of the Brain Tumor Committee in the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG). Dr. Gilbert is also the founder and former leader of the Collaborative Ependymoma Research Network (CERN), a consortium studying ependymoma, a rare central nervous system cancer, by supporting basic research, clinical trials, patient outcomes research and educational efforts in North America and Europe.
Honors, Awards and Leadership
Award for Excellence in Clinical Research, Society for Neuro-oncology (2011, 2010)
Matthew T. Moore Distinguished Lecturer (2010)
Who's Who in America (2006)
Vice President, Society for Neuro-oncology (2005-2007)
Top Doctors (2002-2009)
Best Doctors (2002-2009)
Phi Beta Kappa, The Johns Hopkins University (1982)
Alpha Omega Alpha, The Johns Hopkins University (1982)
Scholars Program, Department of Chemistry, Brooklyn College (1976)
- (2020). Awareness of and intention to use an online sexually transmitted and blood-borne infection testing service among gay and bisexual men in British Columbia, two years after implementation. CANADIAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH-REVUE CANADIENNE DE SANTE PUBLIQUE.
- (2020). Urban American Indian Community Health Beliefs Associated with Addressing Cancer in the Northern Plains Region. JOURNAL OF CANCER EDUCATION.
- (2019). Targeting hypoxia downstream signaling protein, CAIX, for CAR T-cell therapy against glioblastoma. NEURO-ONCOLOGY. 21(11), 1436-1446.
- (2018). Association of genetic variants with fatigue in patients with malignant glioma. Neuro-Oncology Practice. 5(2), 122-128.
- (2014). Impact of recall period on primary brain tumor patient's self-report of symptoms. Neuro-Oncology Practice. 1(2), 55-63.
- (2020). Impacts of Human Papillomavirus Immunization Programs on Rates of Anogenital Warts in British Columbia, Canada, 2000 to 2017. SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES. 47(10), 691-697.
- (2020). Age, period, and cohort patterns in the epidemiology of suicide attempts among sexual minorities in the United States and Canada: detection of a second peak in middle adulthood. SOCIAL PSYCHIATRY AND PSYCHIATRIC EPIDEMIOLOGY.
- (2020). Variations in attitudes towards stereotactic biopsy of adult diffuse midline glioma patients: a survey of members of the AANS/CNS Tumor Section. JOURNAL OF NEURO-ONCOLOGY. 149(1), 161-170.