- Senior Investigator, Human Motor Control Section
Dr. Hallett obtained his A.B. and M.D. at Harvard University, had his internship in Medicine at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and his Neurology training at Massachusetts General Hospital. He had fellowships in neurophysiology at the NIH and in the Department of Neurology, Institute of Psychiatry in London, where he worked with C. David Marsden. Before coming to NIH in 1984, Dr. Hallett was the Chief of the Clinical Neurophysiology Laboratory at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and Associate Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School. He is currently Chief of the Medical Neurology Branch and Chief of its Human Motor Control Section. He is now Editor-in-Chief of World Neurology, the newsletter of the World Federation of Neurology and Associate Editor of Brain. He has been President of the Movement Disorder Society and Vice-President of the American Academy of Neurology. Among many awards, in 2005 he won the Movement Disorder Research Award of the American Academy of Neurology and in 2007 he won the Wilhelm-Erb-GedenkmÜnze of the Deutsche Gesellschaft fÜr Neurologie. His research activities focus on the physiology of human voluntary movement and its pathophysiology in disordered voluntary movement and involuntary movement.
- (2020). Are there any differential responses to concussive injury in civilian versus athletic populations: a neuroimaging study. Brain Imaging and Behavior. 14(1), 110-117.
- (2019). Gender as a Risk Factor for Functional Movement Disorders: The Role of Sexual Abuse. Movement Disorders Clinical Practice. 7(2), 177-181.
- (2016). Characteristics of subthalamic oscillatory activity in parkinsonian akinetic-rigid type and mixed type. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF NEUROSCIENCE. 126(9), 819-828.
- (2020). Outcome Measures for Functional Neurological Disorder: A Review of the Theoretical Complexities. JOURNAL OF NEUROPSYCHIATRY AND CLINICAL NEUROSCIENCES. 32(1), 33-42.
- (2020). Cerebral preparation of spontaneous movements: An EEG study. CLINICAL NEUROPHYSIOLOGY. 131(11), 2561-2565.
- (2020). Distribution of tremor among the major degrees of freedom of the upper limb in subjects with Essential Tremor. CLINICAL NEUROPHYSIOLOGY. 131(11), 2700-2712.
- (2020). Plastic changes in the brain after human hand allotransplantation. NEUROLOGY. 95(12), 547-550.
- (2020). Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Promotes Gait Training in Parkinson Disease. ANNALS OF NEUROLOGY. 88(5), 933-945.