- Investigator, Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch/Skeletal Clinical Studies Unit
Dr. Collins is the chief of the Skeletal Clinical Studies Unit in the Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch, NIDCR. He did his endocrine training at the NIH in the Interinstitute Endocrine Training Program and his internal medicine residency training, chief residency, and medical school training at the University of Maryland in Baltimore. Dr. Collins has been at the NIH since completing his fellowship training. Areas of investigation include bone biology and mineral metabolism, which are studied through clinical and translational studies. Specific areas of interest include the role of PTH, G-proteins, and cAMP in bone cell biology, and FGF23 in mineral metabolism. The primary approach is the study and treatment of patients with rare disorders of bone and mineral metabolism as models through which to understand human bone and mineral biology and physiology. Current models of focus include fibrous dysplasia of bone, hypoparathyroidism, and disorders of FGF23 excess and deficiency.
Dr. Collins is an actively involved in training the next generation of physician scientists as a member of the faculty of NIH Interinstitute Endocrine Training Program and a senior consultant and mentor and in the NIH Medical Research Scholars Program. He is an advisor to the Fibrous Dysplasia Foundation and the MAGIC Foundation and has served on a number of FDA Drug Advisory Committees.
- (2010). Efficient Differentiation of Mycobacterium avium Complex Species and Subspecies by Use of Five-Target Multiplex PCR. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL MICROBIOLOGY. 48(11), 4057-4062.
- (2018). Hypocitraturia Is an Untoward Side Effect of Synthetic Human Parathyroid Hormone (hPTH) 1-34 Therapy in Hypoparathyroidism That May Increase Renal Morbidity. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 33(10), 1741-1747.
- (2018). Letter to the Editor Regarding "Optical Coherence Tomography in the Management of Skull Base Fibrous Dysplasia with Optic Nerve Involvement". World Neurosurgery. 114, 427-428.
- (2018). Mosaic Effects of Growth Hormone on Fibrous Dysplasia of Bone. NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. 379(20), 1964-1965.
- (2018). Scoliosis in Fibrous Dysplasia/McCune-Albright Syndrome: Factors Associated With Curve Progression and Effects of Bisphosphonates. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH.
- (2018). Skeletal Consequences of Nephropathic Cystinosis. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 33(10), 1870-1880.