- Assistant Clinical Investigator, Fungal Pathogenesis Unit
Dr. Lionakis obtained his M.D. and Sc.D. from the University of Crete in Greece. In 2002, he came to the United States and worked as a research fellow at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC) under the mentorship of Dimitrios Kontoyiannis. At MDACC, Dr. Lionakis did clinical research on risk factors, diagnosis, and management of opportunistic fungal infections in cancer patients and bench research focusing on pharmacology and microbial factors in mouse and Drosophila models of invasive aspergillosis, fusariosis, and candidiasis.
After completing his clinical training in Internal Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine and Infectious Diseases at NIAID, Dr. Lionakis joined the Laboratory of Molecular Immunology (LMI) in 2008 and began to work on fungal immunology under the mentorship of Philip Murphy. At LMI, Dr. Lionakis did bench research on how chemotactic factors regulate the innate immune response in invasive candidiasis. In 2010, he was recruited as an Assistant Clinical Investigator in the NIAID Transition Program in Clinical Research (TPCR) and established the Clinical Mycology Unit (CMU) within LMI. In 2012, Dr. Lionakis was recruited as a tenure-track investigator in the NIAID intramural research program and established the Fungal Pathogenesis Unit (FPU) within the Laboratory of Clinical Infectious Diseases (LCID).
50th ICAAC George McCracken Infectious Disease Fellow Award (2010); 49th ICAAC Infectious Disease Fellows Grant Program Award (2009); Henry McIntosh Award for Outstanding Resident in Medicine (2007); Offered Chief Resident position, Baylor College of Medicine (2006); Certificate of Merit, MD Anderson Cancer Center (2004); 1st place Bristol-Myers Squibb Award in Clinical/Translational Research, Trainee Recognition Day, MD Anderson Cancer Center (2004); 43rd ICAAC Program Committee Award for Outstanding Research in the Pathogenesis of Microbial Diseases (2003); Giorgos Gennimatas Scholarship Award (2002); GlaxoWellcome Scholarship Award (2000); Lilian Voudouri Foundation Scholarship Award (2000); The Hellenic National Scholarships’ FoundationScholarship Award (2000); Dretakis Foundation Scholarship Award (2000)
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Microbiology
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Mycoses Study Group
- International Immunocompromised Host Society
- International Society for Human and Animal Mycology
- Journal of Infectious Diseases
- Journal of Visualized Experiments
- (2020). Autoantibodies against type I IFNs in patients with life-threatening COVID-19. SCIENCE. 370(6515), 423-+.
- (2020). Protective Activity of Programmed Cell Death Protein 1 Blockade and Synergy With Caspofungin in a Murine Invasive Pulmonary Aspergillosis Modell. JOURNAL OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES. 222(6), 989-994.
- (2020). Therapeutic responses to Roseomonas mucosa in atopic dermatitis may involve lipid-mediated TNF-related epithelial repair. Science Translational Medicine. 12(560),
- (2020). First report of kerion (tinea capitis) caused by combined Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Microsporum canis. Medical Mycology Case Reports. 29, 5-7.
- (2020). Infections associated with the new 'nibs and mabs' and cellular therapies. CURRENT OPINION IN INFECTIOUS DISEASES. 33(4), 281-289.