- Senior Investigator, Helminth Immunology Section
Dr. Nutman received his A.B. from Brown University and his M.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. He did an internal medicine residency at New York University (Bellevue) and postdoctoral training in the Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases (LPD). He is board certified in internal medicine and allergy and immunology. He also holds a dimploma/certificate in tropical medicine and travelers' health. He has been at NIH in the Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases since 1982, where he is currently deputy chief, as well as chief of both the Helminth Immunology Section and the Clinical Parasitology Section. In addition, he is the director of the TRC/NIAID International Center for Excellence in Research (ICER) located in Chennai, India, as well as director of the filariasis unit at the MRTC/NIAID ICER in Mali. He is on numerous advisory committees and editorial boards and holds patents related to parasite diagnosis and vaccine development. He is the author or coauthor of over 400 papers and book chapters and has received multiple awards for his work in tropical medicine and immunology.
- (2020). A Novel, Highly Sensitive Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction Assay for the Diagnosis of Subarachnoid and Ventricular Neurocysticercosis and for Assessing Responses to Treatment. CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES. 70(9), 1875-1881.
- (2020). Impact of Helminth Infection on Metabolic and Immune Homeostasis in Non-diabetic Obesity. Frontiers in Immunology. 11,
- (2020). Strongyloides stercoralis Coinfection Is Associated With Greater Disease Severity, Higher Bacterial Burden, and Elevated Plasma Matrix Metalloproteinases in Pulmonary Tuberculosis. JOURNAL OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES. 222(6), 1021-1026.
- (2020). Helminth Mediated Attenuation of Systemic Inflammation and Microbial Translocation in Helminth-Diabetes Comorbidity. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 10,
- (2020). Detection of allergen component-specific immunoglobulin E with the luciferase immunoprecipitation systems immunoassay. ANNALS OF ALLERGY ASTHMA & IMMUNOLOGY. 125(2), 215-217.
- (2020). Integrating Multiple Biomarkers to Increase Sensitivity for the Detection of Onchocerca volvulus Infection. JOURNAL OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES. 221(11), 1805-1815.